Protecting Your Health Information
At Grey Bruce Health Services, we treat your personal health information with respect and sensitivity. We do so in accordance with the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act and all other applicable laws.
The people at GBHS who provide and support your care are allowed to see your health information.This group includes doctors, nurses, technicians, therapists, and other health professionals who provide care. Students may also work with your health care team under the guidance of qualified teachers.
How is my health information used?
- To provide you with healthcare
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- To make our health services more effective and efficient, eg.
- conduct risk management activities
- conduct quality improvement initiatives (patient satisfaction in surveys)
- compile statistics
Who does GBHS share my personal health information with?
- A person you choose – your next-of-kin (family member) or legal representative
- Other health-care providers as part of your care
- Health regulatory agencies (for example, agencies that track wait times)
- Public authorities as permitted and required by law (for example, Public health to track infections)
- Government agencies (for example, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board), or if you give your consent, your private insurer to get payment for your treatment or care
Unless you tell us not to, we may also disclose your information to:
- Visitors or callers so they can reach you in the hospital. If you do not want GBHS to tell visitors or callers that you are in the hospital, let us know when you are admitted and share this with your care team.
- Connect you with a religious or spiritual advisor who may visit you in the hospital. If you do not want this service, please tell us when you are admitted.
- Share your information with the GBHS foundations. If you do not want to be contacted for fundraising after you leave the hospital, advise on admission.
Can I see my record of personal health information?
We respect your right to see your health record. If you wish to do so, please call the Release of Information line at 519-372-3920, ext. 2259.
You may also contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org