Reporting to the Director Laboratory Services, the Pathologist Assistant provides services in Anatomic Pathology that helps increase the efficiency of the department and the pathologists. The Pathologist Assistant must have excellent knowledge of human anatomy and assume major responsibility for the initial examination, dissection and gross dictation of tissue samples.
Qualifications / Skills / Abilities:
- Successful completion of the Master’s program for Pathologists Assistant preferred; Canadian Certification Council of Pathologists Assistants; American Association of Pathologist’s Assistants (AAPA) registration or equivalent certification
- Sc. or MLT with advanced level courses in anatomy and physiology or recognized equivalent
- Membership in good standing with the PA section of CAP-ACP
- Knowledge of initial specimen examination, gross dissection of tissue samples and dictation procedures, to be demonstrated; knowledge of preparation, storage and disposal of tissue
- Must have extensive knowledge medical terminology, gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy, microbiology and pathology required.
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology with special emphasis on the pathological presentation of disease
- Knowledge and experience with CAP Cancer checklists
- Experience with frozen section microtomy, staining and bone decalcification an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements (e.g. CSA, OH&S, etc.)
- Experience with dedicated equipment and microscopes
- Experience with the use of autopsy tools, their uses and maintenance preferred
- Ability to interact effectively with others within and outside of the organization (i.e. staff physicians, nurses, patients, suppliers, other technical staff, clerical staff, coroners, funeral homes and patients’ relatives)
- Voice recognition software experience is an asset. The PA is required to use electronic dictation for this position.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and documentation
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Availability to work all shifts, and on an on-call basis
- Ability to handle exposures to infection, noise, odors, working interruptions and high pressure situations
- Skills in leadership, conflict resolution, problem solving, decision making and critical thinking
- Demonstrated evidence of and commitment to maintaining clinical competence through continuing education
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality management and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated responsibility, accountability, and sound financial management skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks and manage projects
- Strong team skills and diplomacy with a proven ability to perform duties independently, with a high degree of motivation and minimal supervision
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent attendance and schedule flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to embrace and support change
- Recent satisfactory performance and attendance records
- Adherence to GBHS ‘CARE’ Behaviours (Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, Excellence) and a commitment to a safe workplace free of violence and harassment
- Advocates and supports a culture of patient safety and demonstrates an understanding of how the department service and assigned responsibilities contribute to overall patient safety at GBHS through patient safety knowledge, skills and attitudes
Posting Date: 2022-07-07
Closing Date: 2022-07-13