Grey Bruce Health Services Logo Ways to Give
  Decrease text size Increase text size Facebook   Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe! Subscribe to GBHS News via email! Login!
Welcome to Grey Bruce Health Services Grey Bruce Health Services Grey Bruce Health Services About Contact Physicians Our Six Hospitals Get Involved! News and Events
Welcome to Grey Bruce Health Services Home

How do I ?

*The questions below are updated periodically. Please visit this page for new information.

How will the hospital know that I am an organ donor?

If you’ve already made the decision to be an organ donor, and have either signed up online at or in-person at a Service Ontario Centre, tell your family members. Make sure they are all aware that you have registered to be a donor.

Grey Bruce Health Services' Owen Sound hospital became a designated organ donation hospital in November 2012. Critical Care and ER staff notify Trillium Gift of Life Network (TGLN) when a patient has died or is at high risk for imminent death to ensure that all potential opportunities for donation are identified. TGLN then contacts the patient’s family to discuss donation. That’s why you should make sure your family members are aware of your decision to be a donor.

According to TGLN, one organ donor can help up to eight people in need and one individual can enhance as many as 75 lives from tissue donation. 

For more information on organ and tissue donation, please visit

Top of page

Can I get hip surgery at Grey Bruce Health Services?

Grey Bruce Health Services is home to five orthopedic surgeons. Hip surgery is offered in Owen Sound. A referral to an orthopedic surgeon is required by your family physician.

Top of page

Where do I go for radiation treatment?

The GBHS Cancer Centre is located on the 5th floor of the Owen Sound Hospital. Click here for more information.

What about cataract surgery?

Cataract surgery is offered in Owen Sound through our Day Surgery department. A referral from your eye doctor or family physician is required to obtain a consultation with an Opthalmologist.

Top of page

Can I get a mammogram at Grey Bruce Health Services?

A mammography program is offered at the Owen Sound hospital, in the Medical Imaging department. A mammogram is an x-ray of the breast tissue to detect early breast disease. Your family physician can order a mammogram for you.

Grey Bruce Health Services also offers services for self-referral breast exams through the Ontario Breast Screening Program. Please call 519-376-8637 to determine eligibility for self-referral, to book an appointment, or for more information regarding the Ontario Breast Screening Program.

Top of page

How long do I have to wait for an MRI?

MRI appointments are now offered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and the wait time for an MRI is much lower compared to other local hospitals. Up-to-date information regarding MRI wait times can be accessed here.

Top of page

What can I expect when I come for an MRI?

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a non-invasive imaging tool that uses a strong magnetic field and radio frequency (RF) waves to produce images. This service is available in Owen Sound only. During the scan loud noises up to 93 dB can be produced, therefore you must wear ear plugs or a head set to protect your hearing. For your safety, you will be asked to change into a hospital gown before entering into the MR Scan Room. To avoid a loss of personal items, please leave all jewelry and valuables at home.

Please also be advised that you may find the MRI machine to be claustrophobic. If you require sedation, speak to your physician in advance to make prior arrangements.

MRI scans can provide information about the brain, spine, joints, organs and vessels. MRI can also illustrate differences in tissues that may not be visible with other types of imaging equipment. Some MRI examinations require an injection of a contrast to see structures more clearly. Your doctor may also request that you refrain from eating or drinking anything prior to your visit. MRI exams can last from 30-90 minutes. Please call your physician for details regarding your own specific MRI exam.

Top of page

Can I check in online before my appointment?

Although there is currently no way to check in online for your appointment, we hope to have this option available in the future. If you were given a brochure by your physician with instruction to call Central Scheduling to obtain an appointment, the registration process would have been completed at that time. On arrival to the hospital, you will need to come to Registration to confirm personal information and then proceed to the department to complete the scheduled test or appointment.

See further information on Registration or Central Scheduling

Top of page

How do I get a copy of my medical records?

We respect your right to see your health record. If you wish to do so, please call the Release of Information line at 519-372-3920, ext. 2259 or e-mail us at

How can I find a new family doctor?

Although there are many doctors who practice in our hospitals and some who have offices here, their practices are independent and Grey Bruce Health Services does not keep a database of who is and who isn't accepting new patients.

If you don't have a family doctor, or you are new to the area, there are a few ways to find a doctor. The Family Health Team in Owen Sound is a good place to start. There are several doctors who work in this office, and they will tell you if they are taking new patients.

Owen Sound Family Health Team
1415 1st Avenue West, Suite 2000
Owen Sound, ON, N4K 4K8
Telephone 519-470-3030

You may also contact the Sauble Family Health Team at 519-422-1321, the Peninsula Family Health Team at 519-793-3445
the South East Grey Community Health Centre at 519-986-2222

The provincial government also has a service to help you find a doctor anywhere in Ontario.

Health Care Connect

Top of page

You may also be interested in:

Programs & Services | Patients & Visitors

Got a Question?

If you have a question you’d like to see posted send us an email at

Patients and Visitors
Patients and Visitors
Programs and Services
How Do I?
Public Reporting
Quality Health Care Right Here!