Lab services at all Grey Bruce Health Services Hospitals require a pre-booked appointment, and walk-ins are not being accepted.
Prior to booking an appointment, please note the following:
- If you are booking an appointment for a child or an individual with special needs please book two back-to-back openings
- When booking your appointment on the simplybook website please ensure to use your full name as printed on your health card
- Urgent requests for blood work must be made by a Healthcare Practitioner
- Please bring your laboratory requisition and health card with you to your appointment
- The Owen Sound Lab does not perform community OHIP work, so if your requisition looks like the form below, you will need to book an appointment at LifeLabs or another GBHS hospital
Special tests that can only be booked by phone:
- Pediatric patients (6 years of age or younger), and patients with special needs
- Semen analysis testing
Tests with Special Appointment Times Required
- AM Cortisol – Book appointment time in AM
- PM Cortisol – Book appointment time towards end of day
- Glucose Tolerance Test – book appointment time in AM
Do not eat or drink (except water) for 8-12 hours before the following tests:
- GLUCOSE – fasting
- GTT – gestational diabetes confirmation
- GTT – non pregnant
- Homocystine (preferred)
Testing only completed Monday – Thursday (NO Friday Appointments or Prior to a STAT Holiday)
- Molecular Genetics
- DNA Testing
- Chromosome MicroArray
- Fragile X
- Flow Cytometry
- HLA B27
Booking Lab Appointments
Patients who qualify for Lab services at GBHS have two options to book an appointment, online or via phone. Please use the appropriate link or phone number provided below.
*Owen Sound Lab does not perform community OHIP work
*Please Note: All outpatient Lab work performed at the Southampton Hospital is processed by Dynacare. Your test results are available through your physician’s office or through Dynacare’s online portal e-Results. Test results are no longer available through MyChart.
Booking staff will do their best to coordinate Lab appointments with other scheduled appointments, including Oncology appointments, to reduce multiple hospital visits for patients.
Lab Tests – Some Fees May Apply
Please note that patients will be billed for all lab tests not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). While OHIP covers the cost of most laboratory tests, there are some specialized, non-routine tests that are uninsured. Patients will be billed at the time of service.
A list of uninsured lab tests and their costs is below:
- Fees for Lab Tests Not Covered by OHIP
- is also available
The following Labs are open Monday to Friday and are closed on Statutory Holidays:
- Owen Sound: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Meaford: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Markdale: 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wiarton: 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Southampton: 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
The Lion’s Head hospital is open Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Lab Licenses & Accreditation
- Lab License – Markdale
- Lab License – Meaford
- Lab-License – Owen Sound
- Lab License – Southampton
- Lab License – Wiarton
- Pathogen and Toxin License – Owen-Sound
Accredited facilities recognized by IQMH: https://iqmh.org/Services/Centre-For-Accreditation/Accredited-Facilities