Grey Bruce Health Services Logo Ways to Give
  Decrease text size Increase text size Facebook   Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe! Subscribe to GBHS News via email! Login!
Welcome to Grey Bruce Health Services Grey Bruce Health Services Grey Bruce Health Services About Contact Physicians Our Six Hospitals Get Involved! News and Events
Welcome to Grey Bruce Health Services Home

Medical Students and Residents

Grey Bruce Health Services (GBHS) organizes Medical electives and rotations for medical students and residents. The Medical Affairs Coodinator works with both Rural Ontario Medicine Program (ROMP) and Schulich School of Medicine to provide medical students and residents with Educational experiences as part of the Medical programs from various universities.

For any Medical Student and Resident inquiries please contact Natalie Kitts, Medical Affairs Coordinator:

Phone: 519-376-2121, Ext. 2269
Fax: 519-372-3933
Mail: Grey Bruce Health Services
PO Box 1800
1800 8th Street East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 6M9


The Annex

The Annex is a residence leased by the hospital for Medical Students and Residents. It is a newly rennovated duplex with availabilty for 6 learners located less than 5 minutes from the hospital and across the street from the local YMCA.

Working closely with ROMP and Schulich to book lodging for students prior to coming to GBHS, a rental fee is charged per week for lodging based on financial support of students coming through these programs.

Immunization Records:
All Medical Students and Residents must submit their most up to date immunization records to the Department of Occupational Health & Safety for review and approval prior to any patient interaction.

Photo ID:
Please bring your medical school or residency program photo ID to wear at all times when in the hospital.

Medical Residents will be provided with a pager on their first day. Medical students may be provided with a pager upon special request from their Physician Preceptor.

Documents for Review:

Contingency Plans


On Call Rooms

Please contact the Office of Medical Affairs directly regarding the availability of Medical Student and Resident Call rooms.


International Medical students

Rotation Setup Information for International Medical Learners

ROMP can assist with rotations for international learners. An international medical learner who wishes to set up a clinical rotation in Ontario must do the following prior to submitting an application to ROMP

    1. Find and confirm a preceptor.
    2. Register the rotation with ROMP.

The ROMP office cannot help International Medical Students find a preceptor. Searching the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario can be helpful to find a physician in a specific community. It is the responsibility of the International Medical student to contact and confirm their own preceptor.

You may also be interested in:

2017 Rural Family Medicine Resident Academic Retreat

On January 4th and 5th, Medical Affairs hosted an Academic retreat at Walter's Falls Inn for the McMaster family medicine residents training in Owen Sound and Collingwood and the Schulich family medicine resdients training in Hanover. The 15 residents took part in presentations by Dr. Bob Severs, Chief Anesthesiogist; Dr. George Saab, Chief Radiologist; Paul Oszaduk and Rick from Bayshore Physiotherapy and a family physician Q&A with Drs. Ana Blake, Alex Hodgson, Samantha Saunders and William Doelman.  The weather was perfect for a snow shoe on the Bruce Trail!

Photograph of residents dressed in full winter gear snowshoeing on a forested snowy Bruce trail






For more information please visit:


On Call Rooms


International Medical students

Patients and Visitors
Patients and Visitors
Programs and Services
How Do I?
Public Reporting
Quality Health Care Right Here!