Spirituality is that part in each of us that seeks to find meaning and purpose in our lives. Spiritual Care connects us with the things that matter deeply to us, which strengthens us, helps us cope, and gives us hope.
While in hospital, patients and family may face uncertainty, life-changing decisions, loss or a range of unexpected emotions. Spiritual Care supports people during difficult times like these or simply when a person needs someone to listen or be present. We journey with people during these times to provide care and connect them with their personal sense of faith and spirituality.
Three words sum up spiritual care: Strength…Meaning…Comfort.
The Manager of Spiritual Care oversees the team of Spiritual Care Providers who visit patients, family and staff at each of the hospitals in Grey and Bruce Counties. This includes the six hospitals of Grey Bruce Health Services, all four hospitals in the South Bruce Grey Health Centre Corporation, the Hanover & District Hospital, plus Chapman House residential hospice in Owen Sound. Our Spiritual Care Providers are professional, multi-faith and compassionate members of your healthcare team.
How to Reach Us
To reach the Spiritual Care Provider at your hospital, ask your nurse to make the request. The main Spiritual Care office is located at the Owen Sound hospital, on the main floor across from Registration. For non-emergencies, call our office at 519-376-2121 ext. 2889 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Services for Patients/Family Members
- One to one visits and/or family support
- Prayer, meditation, rituals or reflection
- Information, spiritual literature, Bibles and/or Sacred Text
- Worship services on the Rehabilitation Unit and the Psycho-Geriatric Unit
- In-Patient Psychiatry Support Groups
Services for Staff and Community
- Supervised Pastoral Education (program approved by Canadian Association for Spiritual Care)
- Courses for on-call Spiritual Care Volunteers
- In-services for staff and community on topics where spiritual care and healthcare intersect
- Consultation for ethical concerns, staff support and debriefing for experiences in the hospital
- Memorial services
If you are looking for a quiet space for prayer, meditation, or just to collect your thoughts, each hospital has a dedicated room for the public to use. Some hospitals have a multi-faith Chapel. In the Owen Sound Hospital, the multi-faith chapel is on the main floor across from Registration and is always open.
We Appreciate Your Help
The Spiritual Care program is supported by the Grey Bruce Spiritual Care Council (GBSCC).
Our Spiritual Care program is jointly funded through partnerships with GBSCC and the healthcare corporations we serve. In addition, we receive community funding from a variety of sources including individual donors, faith groups, foundations and grants.
If you would like to support the Spiritual Care program in our Grey Bruce hospitals/Chapman House, there are three easy options for making a donation:
- Call our Spiritual Care office at 519-376-2121 ext. 2889, and you can make a donation via e-transfer (we will send you the email address when you call)
- Send a cheque to Grey Bruce Spiritual Care Council at 1800 8th Street East, Owen Sound, Ontario N4K 6N9
- Donate via Canada Helps
Our Charitable Number, which should be identified on any cheques, is 86143 9636 RR0001. Charitable tax receipts will be provided regardless of how you donate. Your support is very much appreciated.