Spirituality is that part in each of us that seeks to find meaning and purpose in our lives. Spiritual Care connects us with the things that matter deeply to us, which strengthens us, helps us cope, and gives us hope.
While in hospital, patients and family may face uncertainty, life-changing decisions, loss or a range of unexpected emotions. Spiritual Care supports people during difficult times like these or simply when a person needs someone to listen or be present. We journey with people during these times to provide care and connect them with their personal sense of faith and spirituality.
Three words sum up spiritual care: Strength…Meaning…Comfort.
The Manager of Spiritual Care oversees the spiritual care program and there is a Spiritual Care Provider connected to each of the Grey Bruce Health Services hospitals.
How to Reach Us
To reach the Spiritual Care Provider at your hospital, ask your nurse to make the request. The main Spiritual Care office is located at the Owen Sound hospital, on the main floor and across from Registration. For non-emergencies, call our office at 519-376-2121 ext. 2889 or e-mail: email@example.com.
Services for Patients/Family Members
- One to one visits and/or family support
- Prayer, meditation, rituals or reflection
- Information, spiritual literature, Bibles and/or Sacred Text
- Worship services on the Rehabilitation Unit and the Psycho-Geriatric Unit
- In-Patient Psychiatry Support Groups
Services for Staff and Community
- Supervised Pastoral Education (program approved by Canadian Association for Spiritual Care)
- Courses for on-call Spiritual Care Volunteers
- In-services for staff and community on topics where spiritual care and healthcare intersect
- Consultation for ethical concerns, staff support and debriefing for experiences in the hospital
- Memorial services
If you are looking for a quiet space for prayer, meditation, or just to collect your thoughts, the Multi-Faith Chapel is always open and is located on the main floor of the Owen Sound hospital across from Registration.
We Appreciate Your Help
Spiritual Care at GBHS is part of the Grey Bruce Spiritual Care Council (GBSCC) which helps to oversee the spiritual care offered in all the hospitals across Grey and Bruce counties and at Chapman House, the residential hospice in Owen Sound.
Our Spiritual Care program is jointly funded through partnerships with GBHCC and healthcare corporations like GBHS, as well as community funding from a variety of sources including individual donors, faith groups, foundations and grants.
If you would like to support the Spiritual Care program in our hospitals, please consider calling our Spiritual Care office at 519-376-2121 ext. 2889 and making a donation or contact your local Hospital Foundation.